History of hinckley ranch
The Beginning of a Legacy
The history of Hinckley Ranch begins in the year 1884 when Heber McBride and his wife Elizabeth Burns homesteaded 160 acres in the Middle Fork River area in what is now considered Eden, Utah. Heber Robert McBride was born in Lancashire, England in 1842. He and his family migrated to the United States after joining The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1856. He moved to Utah the same year.
Heber McBride purchased his first farm from John Garrett for $500.56. The deal included 160 acres of land, water rights, home, sheds, and stables. He and his family lived in a covered wagon while they built the "Little Red House," as Ogden Valley locals affectionately call it. The small house is made of adobe bricks fabricated on the property itself; the bricks were then covered with a wood siding. The main part of the barn was also built by Heber. He married Elizabeth Ann Burns on July 28, 1868 and later took a second wife, Elizabeth B. Gould on November 4, 1884.
For a short period of time the two wives and their children lived in the Little Red House and used the trapped door in the kitchen floor to hide one wife and her children after polygamy was outlawed. Heber's first wife passed away in 1894 and is buried at Meadow View Cemetery in Eden, Utah. Together they had 11 children. Heber and his second wife had six children and moved to Canada in 1904. Heber died in Alberta, Canada on July 29, 1925.
A.L. Pritchett purchased the property in 1904 and owned it until 1920, after which he sold it to the George Staples Family. Electricity and running water were added to the Little Red House before the property sold to Robert and Norma Kiesel in 1951. Norma did a bit of remodeling inside the home including adding pine paneling and gingerbread porch trim.
In 1957 the land was sold to Robert and Abrelia Hinckley. Robert Hinckley attended Brigham Young University where his father was a professor in 1913. After completing a mission in Germany and marrying Abrelia Clarissa Seely, Hinckley returned to BYU to receive his Bachelor's Degree. He then moved to Ogden, utah where he founded the car dealership Robert H. Hinckley Dodge Inc. He was heavily involved in politics throughout his life, even being appointed to the Civil Aeronautics Authority by Franklin D. Roosevelt; he eventually became the head of this organization. Hinckley served many years on the board of trustees of the University of Utah where he worked to found the Hinckley Institute of Politics.
Additional property was also purchased and added to the ranch forming the 280 acre property it sits on now. Being retired from politics and other business professions, the Hinckleys turned the property into a horse and pony ranch. A proper foundation was laid and cement porches were added to the Red House. Today, Robert and Abrelia's granddaughter Kirsten Hinckley Whitaker owns 80 acres of the property, her 3 brothers own the remaining 200 acres.